27 November 2011

Firecresting


Forced myself out with a severe cold this morning and got to the Flats for a change. My check of the Jubilee Pond was curtailed by an unpleasant incident nearby involving police trying to stop a self-harmer. I then went over the SSSI to the Broom Fields, a flock of 10 Fieldfare flew west then I met up with Nick walking along the path and we decided to go up to Bush Wood for the Firecrests noticing 3 or 4 Lesser Redpoll near the SSSI on the way.

We wandered around Bush Wood a bit, chatting without finding them and then decided to split up, of course he found them whilst I was looking at Goldcrests and I had somehow turned my phone off so I didn't get his texts, however I found him in the end and had great views of 2 of the birds foraging in Holly.





We then decided to walk through the park and have a coffee at the teashop of happiness, there were a lot of dogs about trying to restrain their owners. After a nice coffee we checked out the Perch pond, no sign of the Water Rail, I counted some Gadwall and then we made our way to the Ornamental Waters and watched a small flock of Siskin with a couple of Goldfinch. Further along there was a Little Egret perched on a fallen tree on the channel, hidden behind branches.








I decided to head back via the Basin and found it full of birds including several Gadwall and 13 Egyptian Geese on the Golf course. Total of 121 Gadwall on entire site, probably more though.


No comments:

Post a Comment